Tostadas are one of those dishes that most people forget about as a quick weeknight dinner option. We think these are a great “build your own” tostada dinner idea as well. For these, we choose to use cod as our protein, but shredded chicken, grilled shrimp and ground beef are equally as good. Here’s how we did it.
- 1 cod, halibut or rockfish, cut into 1” chunks
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup masa cornmeal
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ cup refined peanut oil
- 1 cup refried black beans
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- 4 tostadas
- ¼ cup MOB Peruvian Verde Sauce
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt and spice. Add the fish to the bowl and toss to coat fish on all sides.
- In a medium sized skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Test oil for temperature by sprinkling a little cornmeal into the pan. If it jumps in the pan, oil is ready. Add a single layer of the fish to the pan being cautious to not overcrowd the pan. Fry on each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool. Repeat the process with remaining fish. Note: This can be done in an airfryer. Caot fish in the same way and spray with cooking spray to coat. Air Fry for 8 minutes turning fish over halfway through.
- Now it is on to building the tostados. Carefully spread the black beans over each tostada. Add a little verde sauce over the top and spread. Next add a sprinkle of cabbage, a spoonful of pico de gallo and more verde sauce overtop. Serve and enjoy.